Sunday, January 13, 2013

Review: Mary Kay Satin Hands

A little while ago I attended a Mary Kay party my Step-Mom and her Mary Kay friend hosted.  It was pretty fun!  We did mini facials and mini.. not manicures, but hand softening and exfoliating.  In fact, these products are the ones we used on our hands!  I was very impressed with both.

For Christmas, my Step-Mom got me the Mary Kay Satin Hands set in the Peach scent.

Mary Kay Satin Hands Set

(btw I made myself a light box... you like?!)

The first part of the trio is the fragrance-free hand softener. "Apply a small amount to clean skin. For added hydration, dampen skin with water prior to applying."  I have never applied water before hand because I think the softener does enough on it's own.  It's almost solid when it comes out, but once it melts into your hand it's an... oily substance.  I'm not sure if oily is the best word for it, but that's what I've got.  The top ingredients are Petrolatum, Mineral oil, Paraffin, Beeswax, Hydrogenated Soy Glyceride and Copernicia Cerifera (Palm) wax.  Not very happy about the first ingredient  being Petroleum, but the rest of them would definitely explain the greasy/oily texture.  I can't deny that it's very smoothing and you could probably get away with using this product on it's own.  If you are going to do all three parts, don't bother washing it off because you go onto...

Part two, the Peach satin smoothie hand scrub.  It sort of smells like those Peach Gummy-O candies.  Which is good; those are delicious.  "Massage into hands and between fingers.  Rinse and pat dry."    The only ingredients I can pronounce or really matter for the purpose of my review are the Apricot Seed Powder and Peach Seed Powder.  Why?  Because those are the grungy scrubby ingredients.  I have a hand scrub from Bath & Body works that I absolutely love, but it's sugar based so the scrubbies eventually dissolve.  You have to be careful with the amount of water you get on your hands while scrubbing.

This hand smoothie has no such problem.  I put it on and rub it in without any water, first, and then gradually add a little water to get a foam on.  When I feel sufficiently exfoliated I rinse it off, and then I put on my...

Peach hand cream, the third part of the Satin Hands Trio.  "Massage cream into hands and between fingers.  This nongreasy hand cream leaves hands soft and silky.  Moisturizes hands for 24 hours.  It even lasts through several hand washings."  The only ingredients I can pronounce off the back of the bottle are Water, Petrolatum, Glycerin and Fragrance.  I'm going to assume that the Petroleum and Glycerin are the major "moisturizing" ingredients in this hand cream.

This is, sadly, my least favorite product of the three.  My opinion might be a little biased because I've already found my most favorite hand moisturizer ever, but the bottom line is that Mary Kay's just isn't that great.  The formula feels very thin, and when rubbed in I feel like I have a layer of something on my skin.  They tell the truth that it's nongreasy, but I think I'd almost prefer it to be greasy over this layer it leaves.  I just don't feel like it absorbs.

My skin is undeniably smooth, but the lotion just doesn't make my hands feel like they are mine.

I'm not sure about the staying power through hand washing, but I plan on testing that out in the near future.  I don't see how the benefits could last through being washed if it doesn't absorb into the skin.

When Kevin and I got home from dropping the kids off with their mom, we had TV and spa time.  Since you're supposed to wash the hand smoothie off, when it was time to do so I soaked a washcloth in warm water and cleaned us up.  It worked fine.  I rinsed it off and did another go over to make sure we got all the peach and apricot seed powder.

Kevin decided that his hands were freakishly smooth and he wasn't sure if he liked that or not.  hehe. :)

Mary Kay Satin Hands set is $34.00 for all three products and a cute little tote.  The hand cream by itself is $10.00, and the hand smoothie is $18.00.  It doesn't look like you can get the softener by itself.

Summery of thoughts:
It's a very nice spa set.  I use this once or twice a week while I'm messing around in the bathroom.  I have no desire to use the hand cream regularly.

3 comments:

  1. Great review.
    I tried out Mary Kay sunscreen and I like the matte finish!
    http://8881397.blogspot.kr/

    ReplyDelete
  2. The skin softener is just about the same product as the Mary Kay Extra Emollient Night Cream. That is the product that used to be in the Satin Hands set. It is sold individually.
    http://www.marykay.com/en-US/Body-Sun/Mary-Kay-Extra-Emollient-Night-Cream/100407.partId

    ReplyDelete
  3. The skin softener is just about the same product as the Mary Kay Extra Emollient Night Cream. That is the product that used to be in the Satin Hands set. It is sold individually.
    http://www.marykay.com/en-US/Body-Sun/Mary-Kay-Extra-Emollient-Night-Cream/100407.partId

    ReplyDelete