Thursday, January 24, 2013

Thursday Things I'm Proud Of: Scrambled Eggs

While I've got blog content lined up, I'd like to try a little weekly post.  While I was making breakfast, I was admiring the aesthetics of my eggs and realized how proud I am that I can make them like that.  It feels good to be proud of something, even if pride is a sin.  I think it's important to feel good about yourself, and sometimes the seemingly insignificant things are the ones that give you the best boosts.

Like making fantastic scrambled eggs, which have been praised by everyone in my household.

So, every Thursday I'd like to share with you something I am particularly proud of, and if I can, tell you why I'm proud of it and how I achieved whatever it is I'm sharing.  Because, who knows, you might find something that you are good at and enjoy doing!

So, without further adieu, here are my secrets to  beautiful, fluffy scrambled eggs.

Scrambled Eggs On A Paper Plate
Click for a bigger picture, so you can see the details of my fancy paper plate!
Get some eggs.  It doesn't matter how many.  Adjust to however many people are eating.  I can eat about two if that's all I'm having, or one if I'm eating a piece of buttered toast (sourdough, please) and/or some vegetables or fruit.

Heat a pan over medium heat that is a proportionate size to however many eggs you got.  I think this is common sense.  I hope.  A good way to make sure your eggs are cooked correctly and evenly is to have a pre-heated pan.  In fact, I think this is a good tip for most anything you cook!

In a bowl, crack your eggs... then add a splash of milk.  I never measure it; I just put in what looks like enough.  A couple tablespoons for one egg, maybe?  Just don't put in more milk than there is egg.  This helps with the fluffiness.  This next part might shock you - don't add any seasoning.  No salt, no pepper, no nothin'.  Why?  Because I've found that when you pour the egg mixture into the pan, a lot of the seasoning sticks to the bowl, which makes me sad.  Another reason is because maybe not everyone likes the same seasoning in their eggs.

Ahem, now I'm going to introduce you to my biggest scrambled egg/omelette secret.  While some people will generally just break the yolks and stir everything to mix it, I want you to put some enthusiasm into it.  I want you to work those eggs like they owe you money.  That's right; I want you to get some air into your eggs.

You can get out the egg beaters, a whisk, or even just a fork.  I've done this successfully with them all.  My trick for a whisk or a fork is to tilt the bowl and whip the eggs in vertical circles, making sure I get the utensil up and out of the bowl, bringing it up and above the eggs, so that when it goes back down it gets a big swallow of air.  You'll be able to tell you're doing it right because you'll have this fantastic egg vortex going on, and the eggs will get a lil' foamy around the edges.

Now, lubricate your pan.  Butter it, Pam it, maybe try coconut oil if you're adventurous.  I haven't tried coconut oil with my eggs, but I've tried it with popcorn and pancakes and it's fantastic.  Very little coconut taste, especially if you add salt.  Pour your eggs slowly into the pan, whisking gently.  It'll still be a lil' foamy in the pan.  THIS is where you should add your spices!  I usually just do pepper and a little garlic and onion powder.  I tend to add salt afterwards because I think salt just works better that way.  If you want to add any meat or vegetables, this would be the right time to do it, too.  I wait until I plate the eggs to put cheese on, because if you do it right away the cheese will melt quickly on top instead of sticking and burning to the pan.

This can be difficult because it takes intuition/experience/whatever else you'd like to call it to get it right.  It really does take making scrambled eggs a couple times to get the timing right, so if it looks weird the first time, don't give up!  Once you see the outer edges of the egg looking cooked, as in the stuff touching the walls, you're going to take a spatula, wooden spoon, or bamboo spatula/spoon and gently push all sides of the eggs INWARDS.  More egg will spill everywhere and you'll have an unattractive lump of stuff in the middle, but that's alright.

Let it sit for a little bit, then push it all inwards again.  At this point most of your eggs should be solid.  Lumpy and wet, but solid.  Wait some more, then push the eggs around a little bit.  You'll start to notice that the bottom of the eggs are cooked, so you can use your spatula and flip them over, or awkwardly scoop them around with your wooden spoon and flip them.  Maybe I should suggest you definitely use some type of spatula.

When your eggs are done, you should be able to slide your beautiful eggs onto a plate, garnish, and serve.  YAY!

So this has been probably the longest blog post/instructional on making scrambled eggs.  Thinking back, I should have taken photos of the steps.  I'll probably make eggs again tomorrow and add some pictures in here.  I'm sorry you had to read all that, but thank you SO MUCH and I hope it really helps you!

I've got an idea - how about you try it out, take some pictures and send them to me?  I'll make another post featuring your pictures and any comments/questions you have!  You know, provided I get any.  Please?

Email your pictures, comments and questions to HolenTheWallCrafts@gmail.com

I really look forward to hearing from you!
TTFN
Kirsten

2 comments:

  1. Yum eggs. I personally prefer fried eggs but you have a very good tutorial here, even without pictures. I do follow most of these steps when I do make scrambled eggs.

    Having good scrambled eggs is a good thing to be proud of. Not many people are that good at it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, I could just never get behind any other kind of egg. Fried, boiled, poached, nothin'.

      Honestly... I didn't learn the secret until a couple months ago. My eggs always used to look all shriveled and sad, and the texture when eating wasn't anything special. I did some Googling and some practice runs (that's what kids and boyfriends are for, right?) and it all came together. :)

      Delete