Thursday, December 12, 2013

e.l.f. 6 Piece Holiday Eyeshadow Compact

A couple years ago I picked up an e.l.f. holiday palette on a whim from Target.  A week after I brought it home, I tossed it in the trash.  The eye shadows were chalky and not very pigmented.  Furthermore, the packaging the actual shadows were glued into was some flimsy plastic thing with no cover of any sort.  It was all around just a really bad palette.

Fast forward to me paying attention to the beauty blogger circuit and doing some experimenting of my own.  When these came out about a month ago I decided that if Wet N Wild can get their act together and put out some good quality eye shadows, surely e.l.f. can.  I've heard a lot of good things about e.l.f.'s products since my first (and what I thought would be my last) run in with them.

First of all, I am not a fan of the triangular pans.  Maybe I'm a boring traditionalist, or maybe I almost had a brain bleed thinking of getting the last of the pigment out of one of those corners, but I almost didn't buy it because of that.  I decided that for $3 and because they actually put the shadows in a durable, travel-friendly case, I would give it a go.


In the pans, the colors look beautiful.  They have gold and copper shimmers and this looks like the perfect holiday nude palette.


The saddest part is that I'm not disappointed because I wasn't expecting much.  The baked shadows they sell on the website might be a LOT better quality and give e.l.f. a good name, but these eye shadows definitely don't help them out.  They are beautiful, but not very pigmented.  I think this palette would be good for a teen just getting into make up or if you need a quick travel palette.  You definitely won't be getting any stunning Urban Decay Naked looks out of it, though.



The coppery color, far left on the palette and fourth in from the left on the swatches, is the most pigmented and probably the only one I'd use.  The runner up is the one on the far right of the palette, and second to last on the swatches.  The three light colors could be used as highlighters.  The darkest color isn't even that great for defining.

I think I saw this specific palette on a clearance end cap at Target, so this would be the perfect time to pick up a small gift for the niece, cousin or little sister in your life.

Where: Target

Price: $3

2 comments:

  1. Very nice review. I agree that I could see younger women such as my nieces using this. At $3 you can't go wrong.

    ReplyDelete